Thursday, August 15, 2019

Racism

Many People Don't Even Know What it Means to be a Victim of Racism.

I hate racism because I know what it meant to be a victim of such. I heard so many people talked about 'racism' but the truth is, they don't have any idea what it meant to be on it, almost every day.

I am a Filipino- American. I have Spanish and Indian heritage. I often got mistaken as Latino or Anglo.

Racism is evil and it divides us all.

I've been a victim of racism at the Airport, in a restaurant, in public places, and even in some religious organizations. I can tell if I've been discriminated and sometimes insulted.

I was stopped by a nice young black man at the bus stop which leads to our pleasant conversation. After about 10 minutes, the bus stopped and the first passenger that got off the bus was a young black man who arrogantly approached me right away with a very unusual look at his face and asked me these questions: "Do you speak English? Are you Chinese? Do you understand me?" He said that right on my face. The nice black guy that I was talking with was kind of timid, surprised, and he did not know what to say. I nicely responded to this arrogant racist guy;  "Yes a little bit."

How about you're in a busy Fastfood restaurant and you were at the counter and was asked to wait for 5 to 15 minutes while others who were after you got theirs already because they have the same skin color as those who served them.

How about while in a restaurant, the manager won't talk to you because she assumed you don't speak English? They will talk to your teenager son instead and they do it right in front of you, explaining to your son why dad's order may take a while? And I know that it will not take 10 minutes to microwave the Apple Pie.

How about you're in the Drive thru and you overheard your friend ordering something only to be laughed at by the Staff because of his broken English and weird accent? And you speak the same language and with the same accent.

Some arrogant people who think they're smart because they speak English will yell at people like me because they thought by yelling at Asians or Hispanics or people who speaks different language than they have will help them understand and get their point. (Speak slowly and clearly).

I attend the International Christian Church and I'm also attending in a White Majority Christian Church. These churches are not racists. These churches is the tastes of heaven. But unfortunately, I've been to other Churches (Not a Filipino Congregation) where my wife felt like no one sees us when we came in, and no one sees us when we got out.

Did you know that many so called Christian organizations or Mission organizations will give higher amount of financial support to White or Anglo Pastors, Missionaries, and Church Planters than to Asians, Hispanics, and Africans? Is it not discrimination or racism  and evil? May be its time to standardize the system.

Some of the reporters, broadcasters, and journalists who always attacked and accused President Donald J. Trump of racism may never have experienced racism in their workplace or anywhere in the USA. If you accuse someone of racism or tell someone he/she is racist, be sure you know what it feels and what it means to be a victim.

Forgive me if its inappropriate to say that God is color blind when it comes to the color of our skin. God only sees the sinful human beings He created with the same red blood. He don't look at our bone structure, the color of our skin and eye color, neither will He look at our ethnicity, nationalities or ancestry or be particular on the language we speak.

I remember the song we used to sing in our Sunday School class when I was a young boy. It says; "Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world; black and yellow, brown and white, they are precious in His sight, Jesus loves the children of the world."

Ely Roque Sagansay
Pastor/Author