Thursday, December 2, 2010

HE IS THE SERVANT OF THE LORD

12- 02- 10 MI DAILY DEVOTION
HE IS THE SERVANT OF THE LORD
(Philippians 1:21- 21) “According to my earnest expectation and my hope, that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but that with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ shall be magnified in my body, whether it be by life, or by death. 21- For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.”
The first time I met him was in a church anniversary, it was my first time to hear a very dynamic, funny and powerful message and preacher. The next time I met him was in his office when we were talking about me enrolling in a Bible College. I discussed to him about my financial situation and my academic problems when I was in high school in which I never get to finished. He talked to me about what kind of life I would have if I’d be enrolled. He talked to me about the ministry and the Pastorate that day. When we talked in his office, I can see in his eyes the strong personality in him and I can see love in his eyes every time I talked to him about my personal problems and needs, as well as the needs of others. He helped me be enrolled in a Bible College without any financial expectations. One day, I came to him about the problems of my families and friends with the government and the business sectors regarding our dwellings. People who wanted to demolished our homes for their own interests. He took time right away, writing a letter for the Government and a certain individual to stop their plan of demolishing the whole area. He used Alliance for Democracy And Morality (ADAM) to help me with my problems.
One day he approached me about going to Subic which was for me was not really a good idea, but I went anyways. After a few years of my stay in Subic, I did not regret I obeyed him. He was right and I know it was God’s leading through him. After my 7 years of stay in Subic; late of 1992, I talked to him again in his office about going to the States and telling him that the Lord was leading me to a Mission field in the United States of America. He paused and looked at me in my eyes and said, “Ely, that’s the joke of the Century. Do you know what some of our Pastors and churches are going through in the States right now?” I did not say anything, but just looked at him in his eyes in spite of the fact that I felt like I was going to melt with that strong personality and power in his face and eyes. In my heart, I know he do not have any idea what God is putting in my heart. With his discernment, he changed the conversation and said, “I’ll send you to the States to represent our Mission Board to raise money for the ship ministry. And he made it happen.
I watched this man work like a construction workers when he was working the dirty and hard labor jobs. I’ve watched him when we were working at the Antipolo Camp site. He worked as hard as he can when he was in a farm and he worked like a farmer. I’ve watched him mixed the cement, painted the church and work like there’s no more tomorrow to come. I saw him talked to the less fortunate and the needy as he extends his hand and heart to them. He cried when someone’s hurt and he visited the sick in the hospital and in their homes. He stood with me and with the Pastors who were going through tough times at church, in their marriages and family problems and he remembers the street children on Christmas times like this. He was not ashamed to ask for help in behalf of the needy and for the Pastors’ support especially those who are from the Provinces who do not have enough. He was the first one who would be there if there was a natural calamity. He loves the Lord, his wife and children. He loves his Pastors and his staff, as well as his students in his Bible College; International Baptist Theological College in Mandaluyong, Metro Manila. He is a leader who did not use his subordinates for his own interest and benefits, but he used all his resources to be of help to others. He was not thinking of himself or become selfish but self-less. He was hurt by many and was criticized, but he kept on serving the Lord faithfully until he got sick. He is the Pastor of Pastors of IBMF Philippines. He is the author of the best seller book in the Philippines- “Ngayon Ikaw ay Kristiano Na…” – “Now That You Are a Christian…” He was the founder of International Baptist Church of Mandaluyong. He was the founder of Gideon 300 Radio and Television Ministry. And so much more… time and space will restrict us to do so... I’m so proud to know this man and I’m so proud he knows me and my whole family. He is my friend, my mentor, my leader, my co laborer, fellow soldier; His name is Dr. Gavino S. Tica who went to be with our Lord in heaven today (last night in the Philippines). “Doc” as many called you, we love you and we appreciate what had done for us, for the churches and the work of the Lord and to the whole Country- the Philippines. Enjoy your time with Jesus, Ate Grace and those who went before you…
(Revelation 21:4) “And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.”