Wednesday, February 23, 2011

HE IS THE GOD OF REFUGE, STRENGTH AND HELP

02- 24- 11 MI DAILY DEVOTION (Psalm 46:1- 3)
HE IS THE GOD OF REFUGE, STRENGTH AND HELP
1- “To the chief Musician for the sons of Korah, A Song upon Alamoth. God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. 2- Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; 3- Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.”
“God is our refuge…” It’s very encouraging to know that we have a God who can be a refuge in every situation. He is our refuge at anytime and in many ways. The Lord is our refuge in our problems and when we are struggling with the devil’s devices. The Lord is our refuge in times of troubles and we hide in Him and in His wings of protection when we’re under attack. He is our refuge when the enemies have set up his trap to destroy us and to keep us away from the truth and from His love. During the Old Testament times, those who committed crime or crimes flee to the cities of refuge for their protection. We are all destined for judgment and condemnation, but the Lord is our refuge, salvation and protection. My wife’s favorite verse is in (Nahum 1:7) “The LORD is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him.” I believe that that’s what we have when we trust the Lord for refuge. He is our strong hold in the day of trouble.
God is also our strength in weakness. Life is full of disturbances and distractions as well as destructions. He is our strength in every situation. He is our strength in sickness and in health. God is our strength when our strength is gone and when we are dried and empty. The Lord is the one who gives us strength when we can’t hang on and can’t take another step for Him. He is the one who lift us up when we’re down and weary. In (Habakkuk 3:19) it says, “The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. To the chief singer on my stringed instruments.” The Apostle Paul when he was going through tough times because of his thorn in the flesh recognized that God is the one who gives him strength. (II Corinthians 12:7- 9) 7- “And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. 8- For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. 9- And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” In (Psalm 43:2) “For thou art the God of my strength: why dost thou cast me off? why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?”
He is our help in time of need. He is our help when people turn their back from us. He is our help when our friends are not around or if the world will turn their back to us as we serve Him. He is our help in our infirmities. Even though God is our refuge, strength and help but if we don’t put our trust in Him, everything will only be in vain. (Psalm 46:10- 11; 44:26) 10- “Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. 11- The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.” 26- “Arise for our help, and redeem us for thy mercies' sake.”