Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I AM LIKE A GREEN OLIVE- TREE

MI DAILY DEVOTION 06- 01- 11
I AM LIKE A GREEN OLIVE- TREE
(Song of Solomon 1: 14- 17) 14- “My beloved is unto me as a cluster of camphire in the vineyards of Engedi. 15- Behold, thou art fair, my love; behold, thou art fair; thou hast doves' eyes. 16- Behold, thou art fair, my beloved, yea, pleasant: also our bed is green. 17- The beams of our house are cedar, and our rafters of fir.”
“(1.) How Christ is accounted of by all believers: He is a bundle of myrrh and a cluster of camphire, something, we may be sure, nay, every thing, that is pleasant and delightful. The doctrine of his gospel, and the comforts of his Spirit, are very refreshing to them, and they rest in his love; none of all the delights of sense are comparable to the spiritual pleasure they have in meditating on Christ and enjoying him. There is a complicated sweetness in Christ and an abundance of it; there is a bundle of myrrh and a cluster of camphire. We are not straitened in him whom there is all fulness. The word translated camphire is copher, the same word that signifies atonement or propitiation. Christ is a cluster of merit and righteousness to all believers; therefore he is dear to them because he is the propitiation for their sins.” (The Bible Collection, Matthew Henry)
“It is a refreshing colour, good for the eyes; and it denotes fruitfulness. I am like a green olive-tree, Ps. 52:8. We are married to Christ, that we should bring forth unto God,…” “But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God: I trust in the mercy of God for ever and ever.”