Friday, October 14, 2011

“CAN YOU TELL THE DIFFERENCE…?”

FRIDAY
MI DAILY DEVOTION
“CAN YOU TELL THE DIFFERENCE…?”
(Psalm 37:4) “Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.”

A friend asked me one day about the difference between “wants, desires, and needs”. In a Biblical perspective; each of them may have different meanings to different writers and situations.

“Desire” means “a longing or craving, as for something that brings satisfaction or enjoyment: a desire for fame.” (Dictionary.com) Paul said; “Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved.” (Romans 10:1)

“Want” means “to be without or be deficient in: to want judgment; to want knowledge. Or to be deficient by the absence of some part or thing, or to feel or have a need (sometimes followed by for): He did not want for abilities.” (Dictionary.com) King David said; “A Psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.” (Psalm 23:1) Again, Paul said; “Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.”  (Philippians 4:11)

“Need” means “necessity arising from the circumstances of a situation or case: There is no need to worry. Or a situation or time of difficulty; exigency: to help a friend in need; to be a friend in need. (Dictionary.com) Paul’s reminder to every believers; “But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:19)