Thursday, November 26, 2015

The common expression of thankfulness, appreciation or gratitude:

1- I thank God for the blessing/s.
2- I appreciate my family and love ones.
3- I thank God for my friends.
5- I'm grateful for my job.
6- I thank the Lord for the good health and healthy children.
7- I'm thankful for the good or great business.
8- I'm thankful for the salvation I have in God through Christ.
9- I'm thankful for the house/home.
10- My utmost gratitude to my good boss.
11- I'm thankful because I'm out of debt and I have money in the bank.
12- I'm thankful for the happiness.

Don't get me wrong, these are all great and we must be thankful for all of these... But what if...? What if you're not happy today? What if you're in debt, you have no money in the bank, and the bank is closing your business or you are in the process of foreclosure? What would be the spirit of thanksgiving in your life, in your home or in your heart? Will your attitude of gratitude be the same when everything is not going well with you and your whole household?

Let's not be negative, but I want for you to visit the other side of the road. I want for you to visit your imagination and look at others who may be in the opposite side of what you have been grateful or thankful for this "Thanksgiving Day". Would you be thankful in spite of broken dreams, broken cars, broken relationship or if you have a broken heart? It's so easy to be thankful when there's food on the table, the bank account is positive, and the relationship is sweet. 

Let's feel the pain of others and be there for them. Let's walk with the spouses who were separated due to the call of duty, most especially for our soldiers and cops who were out there defending our country, for our safety and freedom. Let's feel the pain of an empty stomach of the children and others  who are starving to death at the other side of the globe. Let's pray for those whose dad or mom has to turn their back from each other through divorce; not realizing that Christmas and New Year will have an empty chair waiting for them.

Thanksgiving is great when it's about: "I thank..." "I appreciate..." "I'm grateful..." "My gratitude..." Is it only when it's centered on "I" "Me" "My"? We don't want to center thanksgiving to "I" "Me" and "My" but to God and others. My Sunday school teacher when I was a little boy shared to us the acronym of JOY- Jesus, Others, You. The JOY of Thanksgiving is about Jesus, Others and You. The odd part of the celebration is the materialism with all the offers and sales that distracted millions of people from the true essence and element of Thanksgiving Day.

Let's REFOCUS our outlook, and let's scrutinize our hearts and motivation in our personal celebration of "Thanksgiving Day". May we will make it a "Thanksgiving Every Day" no matter what our circumstances we may have from day to day. God bless you all and HAPPY THANKSGIVING DAY EVERYONE! - By Ely Roque Sagansay

Ely Roque Sagansay
Author/Minister
Taylor, Michigan 
www.ely-roque-sagansay.com