Tuesday, April 12, 2011

GRACE IN OUR SUFFERING AND GRACE IN OUR SUCCESS

04- 12- 11 MI DAILY DEVOTION (Psalm 69:1- 3)
GRACE IN OUR SUFFERING AND GRACE IN OUR SUCCESS
1- “To the chief Musician upon Shoshannim, A Psalm of David. Save me, O God; for the waters are come in unto my soul. 2- I sink in deep mire, where there is no standing: I am come into deep waters, where the floods overflow me. 3- I am weary of my crying: my throat is dried: mine eyes fail while I wait for my God.”
“In these verses David complains of his troubles, intermixing with those complaints some requests for relief. I. His complaints are very sad, and he pours them out before the Lord, as one that hoped thus to ease himself of a burden that lay very heaven upon him. 1. He complains of the deep impressions that his troubles made upon his spirit (v. 1, 2): "The waters of affliction, those bitter waters, have come unto my soul, not only threaten my life, but disquiet my mind; they fill my head with perplexing cares and my heart with oppressive grief, so that I cannot enjoy God and myself as I used to do.’’ We shall bear up under our troubles if we can but keep them from our hearts; but, when they put us out of the possession of our own souls, our case is bad. The spirit of a man will sustain his infirmity; but what shall we do when the spirit is wounded? That was David’s case here. His thoughts sought for something to confide in, and with which to support his hope, but he found nothing: He sunk in keep mire, where there was no standing, no firm footing; the considerations that used to support and encourage him now failed him, or were out of the way, and he was ready to give himself up for gone. He sought for something to comfort himself with, but found himself in deep waters that overflowed him, overwhelmed him; he was like a sinking drowning man, in such confusion and consternation. This points at Christ’s sufferings in his soul, and the inward agony he was in when he said, Now is my soul troubled; and, My soul is exceedingly sorrowful; for it was his soul that he made an offering for sin. And it instructs us, when we are in affliction, to commit the keeping of our souls to God, that we may be neither soured with discontent nor sink into despair. 2. He complains of the long continuance of his troubles (v. 3): I am weary of my crying.” (The Bible Collection, Matthew Henry)
The writer has very well explained the verses and it’s very relevant to our present situation and economic condition; especially that the whole world is suffering from calamities and economic depression. God may show us His grace and humble us through extremities or sufferings and He may do the same to us as we experience success. We have seen people who were humbled by God when He made them succeed. It was the grace of God who made them such, as the Lord gave them the grace to humble themselves before Him, when they were either suffering or in a mountain top experienced. If we would only trust the Lord and ask God for grace in times of suffering as He humbles us; the Lord will be there with us, with His grace as we go through the fire. And the great things are; He hears us as we come before His presence in our desperate prayer and praise. (Psalm 69:32- 33) 32- “The humble shall see this, and be glad: and your heart shall live that seek God. 33- For the LORD heareth the poor, and despiseth not his prisoners.”