Tuesday, April 19, 2011

THE LORD’S PRAYER IN THE GARDEN OF GETHSEMANE (Thy will be done)

04- 19- 11 MI DAILY DEVOTION (Matthew 26:36- 39)
THE LORD’S PRAYER IN THE GARDEN OF GETHSEMANE (Thy will be done)
36- “Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder. 37- And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be sorrowful and very heavy. 38- Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me. 39- And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.”
When you pray to God, “Lord, Thy will be done,” it means that in humility and full obedience, you are really willing to submit your will to His will and your want to what God wants for you. You let God do what’s best for you. We have no will of our own as God’s servants but only His will. It shows the recognition of our frailty and of our love for the one who gave His life for us and for the salvation of our souls. We always want the best for ourselves and we always desire the best in answer to our prayers. Everyone desires the best for themselves and for their family. There’s nothing better than God’s will in our lives and there’s nothing better than what God has in stored for us. I like this beautiful Hymn about prayer.  In The Garden
I come to the garden alone, While the dew is still on the roses
And the voice I hear falling on my ear, The Son of God discloses.
And He walks with me, and He talks with me, And He tells me I am His own.
And the joy we share as we tarry there, None other has ever known.
He speaks, and the sound of His voice, Is so sweet the birds hush their singing,
And the melody that He gave to me, Within my heart is ringing…
 (Charles Austin Miles- 1912)
His will not my will; notice what John said in the Book of John: (John 15: 7) “If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.” 
 (Jeremiah 29:11-13) 11- “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. 12- Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. 13- And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.”
Notice what Jesus prayed for when he was in the Garden of Gethsemane the night before he was arrested to be put to death. Jesus already knew the pain and suffering that he will go through for our sins. (Matthew 26:39) “39- And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.”