Monday, April 25, 2011

JESUS- THE LAMB AND THE GOOD SHEPHERD OF THE SHEEPS

04- 25- 11 MI DAILY DEVOTION (Psalm 23:1- 6)
JESUS- THE LAMB AND THE GOOD SHEPHERD OF THE SHEEPS
1- “A Psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2- He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3- He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4- Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5- Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6- Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.”
I relations to a study about the Lord Jesus Christ as the Lamb of God and the Shepherd of our soul, Mr. Matthew Henry has a very good point about such great lessons from the Book of (Psalms 23). Notice his explanations taken from The Bible Collection. He said: “1. How highly he magnifies God’s gracious vouchsafements to him (v. 5): "Thou preparest a table before me; thou hast provided for me all things pertaining both to life and godliness, all things requisite both for body and soul, for time and eternity:’’ such a bountiful benefactor is God to all his people; and it becomes them abundantly to utter his great goodness, as David here, who acknowledges, (1.) That he had food convenient, a table spread, a cup filled, meat for his hunger, drink for his thirst. (2.) That he had it carefully and readily provided for him. His table was not spread with any thing that came next to hand, but prepared, and prepared before him. (3.) That he was not stinted, was not straitened, but had abundance: "My cup runs over, enough for myself and my friends too.’’ (4.) That he had not only for necessity, but for ornament and delight: Thou anointest my head with oil. Samuel anointed him king, which was a certain pledge of further favor; but this is rather an instance of the plenty with which God had blessed him, or an allusion to the extraordinary entertainment of special friends, whose heads they anointed with oil, Lu. 7:46. Nay, some think he still looks upon himself as a sheep, but such a one as the poor man’s ewe-lamb (2 Sa. 12:3), that did eat of his own meat, and drank of his own cup, and lay in his bosom; not only thus nobly, but thus tenderly, are the children of God looked after. Plentiful provision is made for their bodies, for their souls, for the life that now is and for that which is to come. If Providence do not bestow upon us thus plentifully for our natural life, it is our own fault if it be not made up to us in spiritual blessings.”
Jesus as the Lamb and the good Shepherd of the fold in which the Christians could claim and be assured of, that the Lord Jesus Christ did not only died for our sins, but also love us to the uttermost. That’s one of the blessings that no other religion can offer or teaches. Apostle John talked about His love and how He laid down His life for us. Peter talked about how He cares and that Christ has chosen us as a royal priesthood and a chosen generation. And you will love what the Apostle Paul said in the Book of Philippians when he talked about God’s provision. In (Philippians 4:17- 19) 17- “Not because I desire a gift: but I desire fruit that may abound to your account. 18- But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God. 19- But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.”