Thursday, October 30, 2014

Contentment Can Be Learned...

“A Psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2- He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3- He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.” (Psalms 23:1- 3 King James Version)

Have you ever felt like God was asking you; “What do you really want?” I was asked several times by my children and my wife. And I responded; “The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.” It’s true to every believers of the Lord Jesus Christ. The more you grow in His grace, the more you put little value of temporal things, and put more value on the things of God. Psalms 23:1 is the Old Testament counterpart of what Paul was talking about in Philippians chapter four verse eleven.

Christian’s have satisfaction, joy and peace, and its source is not of this world but in His Word and in the Lord Jesus Christ. The Shepherd of shepherds is the one who gave us salvation through His shed blood on the cross for our sins. God took away our sins and sinfulness and He changed our heart. That’s the main reason why we have what the world are desperately longing for and missing- Jesus and a changed heart! (II Corinthians 5:17; John 14:26)

God’s Holy Spirit and the truth kept the fleshly and worldly desires, wants and discontentment away from us by His grace. Paul learned to be content and that’s what we need to learn as Christians. Paul hardships, sufferings and imprisonment help him learned to be content. Notice what he wrote from the dungeon and while he was in death row; “Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.” (Philippians 4:11 KJV)